Saturday, August 29, 2015

Antique Shutter Tutorial

There are  a couple of ways to make something look faux antique. One of the cheapest and easiest ways to make that lovely little antique paint-peeling look is to use school glue. Yes, you heard me correctly, school glue.

I used this method to antique some vinyl shutters I picked up from the big box store.

You will need:
Paint for the areas that will show through the cracks (latex, acrylic)
School Glue
Paint for your top coat (latex)
Project surface


I started my adding the color that will show underneath the antique crackle. I used several colors of spray paint, hoping to achieve a weathered wood look. I concentrated on the areas that would naturally weather

And then I decided that I wanted to add some unexpected weathering. You know, just because



Plain old, school glue



Nicely layered on, I used a brush to even it out


 Add a top coat of (latex) paint in the color of choice


 See the magic begin


And the finished product dries with a weathered, cracked appearance

No comments:

Post a Comment